Wednesday 6 November 2013

THE ALPHA SPARKY


 

It's a bit busy. Probably too busy for a book cover so it will no doubt get changed, but I wanted to test a few ideas out and this was the one I liked the best. It certainly has sparkle, which is now part of the title.
Do people outside of Britain (or even in Britain) know what a sparky is though? I mention it in early in the book - it's an electrician. That doesn't come across on that book cover, so perhaps people will be confused as to what it's about.
And as for a fag - well that's well known globally. But in Britain it is also a cigarette, and for the first time I am making a principal character a smoker. That doesn't come across either, and probably it shouldn't. I know that in some countries positive images of smoking are banned, so I don't want to risk more censorship over something really daft like that. But what about the other fags - the two young lads who will serve the sparky - where are they? Should I have them there somewhere on the cover, or does it not matter?  The book cover is meant to grab attention not tell the story - read the blurb and the book for that.
You know - the more I look at it, the more I like it. Perhaps it will stay, at least for a short time whilst I write the book, which is about half complete now. I'll put it on the website to advertise the work...Another little job for today.

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment