Thursday 10 October 2013

Lost In The Flood


"Hey, gunner man, that's quicksand, that's quicksand that ain't mud
Have you thrown your senses to the war or did you lose them in the flood?"

Bruce Springsteen - 'Lost in the Flood', from 'Greetings from Asbury Park N.J.'

Okay, so anybody who can quote that one has to be a big Springsteen fan, or at least I was when younger. But what has it got to do with gay BDSM writing? Well, I could probably find a link if I tried hard enough, but the answer is absolutely nothing. It's more to do with how I am feeling at present. I'm lost in the internet flood!
This year has been a strange one in terms of my writing. The last Jack Brighton book to be released was in January - Boot Camp Week. Events sort of caught up with me - a holiday in India, which was fabulous, then returning to a catastrophy of collapsing ceilings in my Brighton apartment due to water leakage from above and the place needing a total makeover after seven years in the hands of a tenant who did no maintenance whatsoever, and an agent managing the place who failed miserably in managing it whilst telling me everything was fine. I sort of got sidetracked for a couple of months.
Having had a break, I then decided to do a makeover of my work. Bring all the old Fergie Boy books up to scratch, and in doing so tackled 'Man in the Box' and 'Naked Hero' which kept me busy for many subsequent months.
At the same time I decided that with so much material out there under the various pen names, I should be marketing myself better. Hence this website, and the blog. There is Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Google Plus being looked at, Reddit... Have I missed one? Probably! Is it any surprise I'm lost in the flood? All of yesterday got hijacked with internet tools and not a single word was added to the new book I'm working on. My head was spinning at the end.
I had thought it was paying off. October started really well on the sales front. But then two really crap days put paid to that, so I'm not feeling terribly inspired.
But at least I'm blogging, even if it is in a negative tone. That's life though, isn't it. Not every day is great. You have to keep going, try to stay afloat.... and even if at times you feel lost, fight and don't drown in the flood.

Jack

1 comment: