Thursday 17 October 2013

The Power of FREE


I'm feeling a little smug this morning, although not getting too excited. My monthly sales report from Apple has shown a pleasing improvement over previous months, and I'm glad to say that iPad readers seem to be discovering 'The Wild Side' books at last!
I've always wondered why some of my books prove quite popular with certain retailers but not with others. The Tom Farrell collection for example does quite poorly on Amazon, where Jack Brighton does pretty well. With Apple it's been the opposite to date, even though it's the same author under different pen names, something which I make clear in the books. But September showed a big turn around, and it was mainly 'Wild Side' books that sold.
Why?
The Power of FREE!
It is a strategy I have been using to good effect this year, and I have to thank Mark Coker at Smashwords for the idea. Where there is a series, such as 'His Nemesis', I make the first book free for a period of time, and by doing so attract new readers to my work, some of whom then go on to buy the rest of the series (other sadly give me hideous reviews and want to see me burned at a stake, but you can't please everyone!). It worked very well for His Nemesis, and now I seem to be reaping rewards by making a 'Wild Side' book free - 'The Unchained Slave'. It's not quite the same. There is no first book in a series as such. 'The Wild Side' is more a collection of related tales. But 'The Unchained Slave' is a good introduction, and it kicks off the series within the collection i.e. Dylan Sinclair's story. He is introduced in 'The Unchained Slave' and then his story continues in 'Made for Auction' . After that he appears in all the other books, and will once again be a star in 'The Wild Side of Christmas' (coming soon).
I'll be keeping the offer running through to the end of the year, so if you haven't grabbed a copy of 'The Unchained Slave' then click on the link below and it will take you to the website page where you can link to your vendor of choice where it is listed free at present.

Thanks everyone for your support (especially those nice iPad users who are coming to me at last!)

Jack


http://jackbrighton.weebly.com/the-unchained-slave.html

No comments:

Post a Comment